Eligible applicants must be graduates of a medical school accredited by either
The Liaison Committee on Medical Education
The American Osteopathic Association
Have graduated from an international medical school listed by the World Health Organization published in the World Directory of Medical Schools. International Medical Graduates must expect to have a current, valid certificate from the Educational Commission on Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) by the beginning of training.
Applicants must have passed Steps 1 and 2 [Clinical Knowledge (CK) AND Clinical Skills (CS)] of the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) or the National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners’ Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination (COMLEX) equivalent PRIOR to being invited for an interview.
Applicants must be eligible to obtain a Georgia medical training license.
The Internal Medicine Residency Program will not discriminate with regard to gender, age, race, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
The Internal Medicine Residency Program selects from eligible applicants on the basis of their preparedness, ability, aptitude, academic credentials, communication skills, and personal qualities, such as motivation, empathy, and integrity. While USMLE and COMLEX scores and medical school grades play a significant role in the selection process, we do not use a minimum threshold in screening applicants.
Application and Matching Services – Allopathic and Osteopathic Candidates
The Internal Medicine Residency Program participates in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS®). ALL applications are processed through ERAS®. Applications by e-mail, mail, or fax will not be accepted.
The Program participates in the following national matching services:
- National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) for US allopathic and international medical graduates
- American Osteopathic Association/National Matching Services (AOA/NMS) for osteopathic medical graduates
Applications should include the following:
- The common application form
- USMLE scores (or COMLEX equivalents) – Steps 1, 2 (CK and CS) required for all applicants
- ECFMG report and certificate for international medical graduates (this includes U.S. applicants attending medical schools outside of the U.S.)
- An official transcript from the applicant’s medical school
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (formerly Dean’s letter)
- The Department of Medicine letter (when available)
- Two additional letters of recommendation
- The personal statement